At the January 25, 2010 board meeting the Chillicothe City School District Board of Education approved changes to the District Attendance Policy that allows the After-School Attendance Program to have greater focus on those students who need tutoring to ensure academic excellence for all students. The changes are as follows:
- Students having Academic Difficulties combined with Attendance Problems will be given priority when assignments are made to the After-School Tutoring Program.
- Students with a “B” average or better who have made up all the work they missed during an absence can be excluded from the After-School Attendance Program if the building principals deem it appropriate.
- All students who have been assigned to an ASTP who have not attended will have privileges revoked/withheld.
- Use our program as a precursor to the courts program for punishing students for “habitual” and “chronic” truant. The CCCSD will utilize our school attendance policies to complement the court’s attendance program.
- The following procedures will be followed when a student accrues an unexcused absence:
- 1 unexcused absence: Friendly Letter sent home to parents reminding them of Ohio compulsory school attendance laws.
- Unexcused absences 2-Habitual Standing: Students (K-8) who are absent for more than 8 days (excused or unexcused) during the school year or have more than one unexcused absence will attend after school tutoring sessions to make up his or her work up to the point he or she reaches habitual standing
- Court Program: When a student reaches the habitual or chronic truancy mark he or she will be turned over to the courts and be subject to any decision made by the court in regards to the student’s educational standing.
o Habitual Truancy: 5 straight unexcused absences/tardies, 7 unexcused absences/tardies in a month, 12 unexcused absences/tardies in a school year.
o Chronic Truancy: 7 straight unexcused absences/tardies, 10 unexcused absences/tardies in a month, 15 unexcused absences/tardies in a school year.